Kredits are an experimental bonus system for contributors. They are cryptographic tokens, stored on the Ethereum blockchain, issued and managed via smart contracts.
Anyone can create an Ethereum wallet via e.g. metamask.io and start receiving kredits for contributions of any kind. People can also send their own kredits to each other if and when they like.
For now kredits are just a fun experiment and gaming element, but the long-term idea is that they can be rewarded with dividends, in case the Kosmos project/org will be in a financial position that allows it to reward everybody contributing to its success. There's also a variety of other possible use cases, like e.g. a public offering via kredit sales. (see Crypto Equity)
kosmos-schemas contains the JSON Schema definitions and examples for all data stored in IPFS. They can be used in the kredits-contracts JS wrapper as well as in client apps.
hubot-kredits is a Hubot chatbot extension, which can automatically create (unconfirmed) contribution tokens, e.g. based on GitHub contributions, Mediawiki edits, etc.
Democratic governance via Kredits
Kredits have the potential to be used for distributed governance of the Kosmos project and organization. The basic idea is that people can vote on decisions with a vote that carries a weight according to their contributions. In short: the people who do should decide. With a limited set of basic rules, this makes for a revolutionary new approach to decentralized open-source governance.
Rules / parameters
TODO update this section with current information
Leaderboard for contributions/kredits, where people can choose to publish their name or not (based on actual blockchain data)WIP, almost done: https://kredits.kosmos.org/
- Some way for new contributors to claim kredits sent to them via email link or similar (Update: current idea is to issue them without the need for an address, then be able to confirm address change via GitHub OAuth and admin action/proposal)
IRC bot for small transactions, so people can send each other kredits on Kosmos project channelsTurned out to not make sense. Custom wallet, removing all unncesseary features and integrating custom features we'd like to have (like e.g. easy multisig transactions, linked/initiated from a Kosmos chatroom)WIP, almost done: https://github.com/67P/kredits-web/ (tokens can be sent via normal ETH wallets)
- Contribution Dashboard for regular Kredit distribution as well as general project stats
- Expense management, similar to https://opencollective.com/learn-more
- Interoperability with other coops/projects/software
- cDPOs (commons-oriented decentralised programmed organisations) as frameworks to bootstrap, develop & sustain commons projects
- Colony -- "The Colony Beta is for teams who want to create their own “Collaboration Network”—a place to work with, incentivize, and track the contributions of a network of collaborators. It combines task management with “payments” and tracking."
- ether-camp/virtual asselerator -- "The Virtual Accelerator is a platform that allows for the promotion, testing and funding of ideas. " HackerGold is their token.
- boardroom.to -- A blockchain based governance platform.
- Lunyr -- "Lunyr is an Ethereum-based decentralized crowdsourced encyclopedia which rewards users with app tokens for peer-reviewing and contributing information."
- Singulardtv -- "A Blockchain Entertainment Studio, Smart Contract Rights Management Platform and Video On-Demand Portal"
- TokenMarket -- "Trade and research 152 digital assets. Organize crowdsales."
- Tokens on Ethereum about Ethereum based tokens by ConsenSys
- Thoughts on Tokens by Balaji S. Srinivasan and Naval Ravikant
- Misthos (multi-sig bitcoin wallet, "designed for project teams, investment partnerships and other ad hoc ventures to manage the divvying up of income (received as bitcoin) among their individual members", based on Blockstack, Coindesk article)
- Lynyr contracts
- minime contracts
- melonproject contracts
- Paper: "Liberal Radicalism: Formal Rules for a Society Neutral Among Communities"
- Sideshift is similar to Shapeshift, but without KYC and such. Could be used to donate to the Kredits contract using Bitcoin via LN, as well as via normal chain txs with a variety of currencies.