Kosmos Summit 2020
- Location: Sambuca di Sicilia, Italy (HackerHouse/L6) + Remote (Zoom, or Jitsi Meet, or similar)
- Dates: October 2020
All core contributor hands on deck! After having drifted on the oceans for a while, we need to chart a good course and set the sails.
With all the basics for rapid feature development finally in place before this year's gathering, we'll be able to focus entirely on planning for, and hacking on, Kosmos Chat and Kosmos Services. And with our new initial budget, we can also start trialing our ideas for a sustainable, co-operative, open-source organization via Kosmos Kredits. Let's create a new roadmap and see where it takes us!
Everyone is invited in October to visit Sicily and HackerHouse for a while and co-work from there (both on Kosmos and non-Kosmos stuff). In addition to the flexible long-form gathering, we will have two days or so of focused sessions, in which we will discuss and collaborate on the important topics.
Dates for the Summit: October 9/10/11 (main day on Saturday).
There are some beds at the house itself, and also a variety of apartments in walking distance that we can use. For leisure time, there are both beaches and mountains, as well as old towns and ruins dating back to hundreds of years before the rise of Rome. Go explore!
Airports PMO and TPS are both ~1:15 hrs drive to Sambuca. PMO serves the most destinations. Please coordinate with others for sharing rental cars and/or getting picked up from the airport.
Sambuca hasn't recorded a single case to date, and there are currently no travel restrictions in Italy for EU residents. Everything is open for business, but mask usage is currently required for shared indoor spaces other than restaurants. These notes will be kept up to date until the summit.
Whoever cannot or does not want to participate in person, can also call in via audio/video chat for the focus sessions. We are going to upgrade the buildings's Internet connection with our provider for the Summit days, and we will organize everything needed for decent remote participation. So if you cannot or do not want to travel at the moment, it will not be necessary to do so.
Any and all help with organizing/improving remote participation is most appreciated, of course! Please join one of the upcoming weekly calls if you want to contribute to this topic.
Topics / Agenda
Please liberally add your ideas to this random list until the summit, so we can then pick/combine the things we want to have sessions for.
- Required basic features
- XMPP platform revamp (new XMPP libs)
- Production deployment
- Completing the current migrations
- Mid-term goals
- Services / Accounts
- Signup via invite or donation
- Account management (via akkounts API and front-end)
- Mid-term goals
- Onboarding (don't require wallet until they want to interact with the contract)
- Developer dividends
- Data migration between chains
- Handle funds in pure Bitcoin/Lightning?
- Mainnet deployment (required features)
- Why smart contracts (and not e.g. Git)
- Working groups?
- Legal topics (host entity necessary?, trademark, ...)
- galfert (remote)
- slvrbckt (possibly in person)
- greg (remote)
- bumi (8.10. - ~16.10.)
- Set up physical remote conferencing equipment/location
- Set up whiteboard solution for video/remote sessions (physical or digital, how exactly?) (digital candidates: Spacedeck, WBO, discussion about integrating WBO into Jitsi meet)
- Set up video conferencing software and room(s) (Jitsi Meet?)
- Set up Etherpad(s) or similar, for live collaborative docs
- Set up dedicated chatroom(s) for the summit? (look at Jitsi meet XMPP integration first)
- Create agenda with topics to discuss/work on (public or not?)
- Create session schedule (Unconf style. Just agree on session times and perhaps mods beforehand, so people can plan lunch, dinner, etc.)
- Document remote participation details (for everyone to know exactly how things will work and when)
- Grocery shopping for local participants
- 🗹 Confirm dates and modes of participation